By reading a “Smart” what you are thinking of a smart as cool, sharp, bold, intelligent or elegant?
Yes here it can be a cool, sharp, organized, bold, wise, elegant approach towards setting your goals.
But it can be more than this.
What is meant by Smart Guideline?
SMART is an acronym which you can use as a guide for setting your goals. It comprehensively define goal setting with different variations.
S– Specific, substantial, broaden
M– Measurable, meaningful, motivational
A– Attainable, action-oriented, acceptable
R– Realistic, reasonable, result-oriented, relevant
T– Time-Bound, tangible, track able
This term is accredited to Peter Duker’s concept of Management by Objectives. And this term is first used by George T. Doran in November 1981 issue of Management Review. (Source: Mindtool)
Why to use:
SMART guideline helps you to clearly focus, attentive and to concentrate on your goals. As well as maximize your chances to achieve your goals. It gives you a direction to achieve your goal fast.
Write your goals.Don’t keep every goal inside your head, just start writing your goals in this way you have a clear view of your goals. And this clear picture then make you to get more fruitful use of SMART tool and strengthen your belief that what you want is possible to achieve and you can go for it.
How to use SMART guideline:
You can get now clear picture step by step to use this guideline in a following way:
> S :
-You have to be specific while setting goals to make your goals specific.
-Well-defined goals. Define everything what you want clearly.
– Write every possible answer of your questions.This involves what,why, when, which, where,who, and how.
- What: you want to achieve.
- Why: you want to achieve, possible reasons, outcomes, rewards, benefits.
- When: setting of deadlines, when you will get what you want,when you have to start working on your goals, when you have to perform specific tasks.
- Which: requirements, resources involve, obstacles, needs, techniques, tools and tricks.
- Who: can take part in your goals, your role as well as role of others in getting set targets.
- Where: you meet your goal, where you can perform your tasks, everything about location matters
- How: you can get a certain target, a way of achieving goal.
- You set a goal that you want to start a business. It can’t be your specific goal. It become specific when you say i want to start a business of selling bakery items. It can become more specific when you say that you want to sell cakes, pastries etc any specific items.It makes your goal of starting a business very specific because now you have knowledge about getting your goal with specific information.
- Similarly if you have a goal to write a book or to lose a weight. Write clearly what about you want to write and for whom. How many pounds you want to lose in 30 days?.
> M :
– Your goal should be measurable, have some meaning and motivation which forces you towards your goal.
-You deal here with numbers, dates, and all possible and estimated figures.
-Makes your goal tangible and quantifiable.
-Like how much, how many, how far, how does it take is answer here.
-Assigning of each measurable units to your tasks.
( Related to above example).
- When you have set specific goal of starting your business now you have to deal with numbers. You set your time, cost, price, profit everything with can be defined quantity wise. Like you have to make x number of bakery items per day, y number of ingredients required, xy number of price to sell, zx number of profit etc. Thus you have to mention all tangible details for attaining your goal.
- For book: how many number of pages or chapters you write per day, per week, per month.How much words etc.
> A :
– Your goals should be attainable, acceptable, and action oriented.
-Which sets you for some action.
-Clear and acceptable outcome.
Achievable goal with your available resources
- Set to a business now what step, all required inventory for bakery you have to take using your available resources(budget, skills), but more is that are you a good at baking? Is this business is for you? Are your recipes are like-able? Where you have to set a standard of building customer relationship?Where you are selling? i.e. if near community what you know about their choice of taste? How you promote it? What you have to offer? Your point of attraction?
- For Book: what you know about what you are writing. Your targeted audience. Who can get benefit from it. How you publish? Will you go for self publishing or find publisher somewhere.
> R :
– You should have relevant, logical and realistic approach towards your goal.
– Some reasonable result oriented actions for settled goals.
– You are down to earth in your effort for what you want to achieve.
-Don’t make to much expectations with your goals. Be realistic and work hard.
– What conditions and environment is suitable for it.
– Availability of all resources, time and information which you need for accomplishing your goals.
- Be realistic in which you are going to work. It is bakery in our above example. Is it your hobby to bake? You like to stand in kitchen and do your work for a x time period? Why you are going for this business? Mention realistic reasons with using all your possible available resources in your present condition or circumstances. What you are expecting from your this bakery business, all should be real with realistic outcomes in real time.
- For Book: are you flooded with all required information for publishing your book? Make you expert, learner, warrior. Have you possess a convinceable and clear conveying message pattern for your writing to your audience to whom you are writing for?
> T :
-Time-bound, track able and tangible goals.
-Enough time is requires or less.
-Which tasks can be done in x time?
-Categorize your goals as Long term, short-term and life time goals.
-Setting of deadline for each and every task require for attaining your goal.
- In 2 weeks or in a month you set all for your bakery. And in x time you prepare y amount of bakery items. z time is require for promoting your business and achieving realistic outcomes, profit etc.
- Similar is for your book. In ___ weeks or months you done all for your book. It may be drafts, final manuscripts, publishing time, promoting book, sales etc.
Once you write all your goals and use SMART technique then you are very near to achieve your goals with possible best outcome.
You like this article?Share it with others. And don’t forget to give us your feedback.
Online Business for Sale.